Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Post #2

A Vision of Students Today
I think that this video perfectly exemplifies my college experience. This is my fourth semester at South but before I attended South I was at Auburn for two and half years. While I was at Auburn I took core classes such as English, History, Biology, Sociology, Ethics etc. All of my History, Biology and Sociology classes were huge! All of my History classes had anywhere from 150 students to 200 and Biology had well over 200. In at least ten of my classes at Auburn, most likely more, the professors did not know any ones name. Just like in Michael Wesch's video students brought computers to class with zero intention of note taking and some students only showed up on test days. Just like students in the video, I too have bought hundreds of dollars worth of books for class that I have never used.
My experience at South has been a little different, but that is mostly due to the fact that I am now in classes pertaining to my major. I have found that more, but not all, teachers do know students names and the classes are a lot smaller. On a less positive note, I have already bought 3 or 4 books at South that I never opened.
Sadly, the video was completely true when it showed the chalk board that said "follow along". Teachers today are still standing in front of a classroom at a chalkboard or projector screen while the students are following the teachers' lead. Students are being told and fed what they need to learn instead of doing some of the work for themselves. I think that this video is great and shows a lot of flaws in the education system today.

It's Not about the Technology
I like how Kelly Hines views technology. I agree that it is incredible and can make learning and students much more advanced; however, there has to be a good teacher to demonstrate and know how to correctly use the technology. I think that Smartboards are amazing and are great in classrooms. I have seen some Elementary teachers do incredible things with them and teaching there students; however, I have seen some teachers, who are not fully trained or knowledgeable, miss an incredible opportunity. Those teachers simply use the Smartboard as a projector. The teachers are wasting, in my opinion, one of the greatest advantages in a classroom.
I completely agree when Kelly Hines says: "Teachers who want to be truly succesful must be voracious and self-motivated in their pursuit of evoloving understanding." Great teachers are great because they care and strive to be a great teacher. They continuously seek to understand their students and what they are teaching them. As helpful as technology is in the classroom, I also agree that the technology does not make a teacher great; however, it can give a teacher the tools.

The Fischbowl
Many teachers who have been teaching for a while have found a system that works for them and the students learn from as well. It is good to have routines and tentative systems; however, teachers have to be willing to make adjustments. Teachers can not form a system to use year after year that does not consist of editing or altering. For instance, teachers who have developed a "flawless" system have evidently been teaching for quite awhile. It is good to have teachers who have been teaching for many years; however, more times than not those are the teachers who do not evolve into the understanding and learning that students need today. They do not become familiar with technology that would greatly help students. They simply continue on with what they know.
As a stated previously, I do not believe it is technology that makes a teacher great; however, teachers need to teach what their students need to know. Students today are graduating and going into colleges or workplaces that requires that they know or are familiar with technology. I like how Fisch said that "Don’t forget, those Kindergartners that started school in the last month or so are the Class of 2020 – we need that 2020 Vision". Teachers and administration have to take into consideration who they are teaching. They are teaching children who will have to know technology and how to use it in order to get a job one day. It is understandable that many teachers do not know how to use or understand technology; however, they should still have to be taught and not just say "I am no good with technology" of "I don't understand".

Gary's Social Media Count
These rate are unbelievable. It is one thing to know that millions of people have a facebook and twitter account or text message; however, it is another thing to watch the numbers rise. The statistics make me think about how technology is going to be in two years when I begin teaching. It is going to be so much more advanced then and so much more apart of everyone's' lives. I believe that technology is going to have to be a huge part of an academic curriculum and a classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Wesch:
    It is really unfortunate that students have had to endure such lousy education. But it is not just in colleges and universities. It is endemic throughout our educational system. But in college you have had to pay for it too! We are trying in EDM310 to change that. NO MORE BURP BACK EDUCATION. And use what you learn!
    Hines:
    You write: " I think that Smartboards are amazing and are great in classrooms." I am going to repeat what I said in my comments to Ashley Johnson: Kelly Hines is a smart board guru. She thinks smart boards should be tools for kids - not teachers. You might enjoy watching Ms. Hines Skype Session with EDM310 last semester. It lasts about 30 minutes. I think smartboards can be easily misused and become electronic crutches for poor teachers. We can debate that later (and I will elaborate on my reasoning later), but you will have the opportunity to consider my position before the conclusion of this course. But you are right on when you argue that great technology does not automatically produce a great teacher!
    Fisch:
    You write: "Teachers can not form a system to use year after year that does not consist of editing or altering. For instance, teachers who have developed a "flawless" system have evidently been teaching for quite awhile." Isn't that what Dr. Wesch's movie was about - teachers who have discovered the "flawless" system but do not realize how flawed it really is today? There is NO flawless system and there never will be. Humans are not perfect and the world is changing. Those two reasons alone guarantee my outcome. So it is incumbent that teachers learn how to maximize learning for their students. Using the technologies which are being used by kids today is essential to that undertaking.

    Well written. You raised many interesting points which we will continue to explore and debate throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree and can relate to your comment: “I think that Smartboards are amazing and are great in classrooms. I have seen some Elementary teachers do incredible things with them and teaching there students; however, I have seen some teachers, who are not fully trained or knowledgeable, miss an incredible opportunity. Those teachers simply use the Smartboard as a projector. The teachers are wasting, in my opinion, one of the greatest advantages in a classroom.”

    When I was living in Mississippi, my son’s school invested money into getting Smartboards for all the classrooms. At this time he was in Kindergarten and I was in his classroom fairly often. The only time I saw the Smartboard being used was to display sight words and to play movies during class parties. I really liked his teacher and believe she did a great job with my son, but I wonder how many students’ interest she could have gained via the Smartboard. These are very useful, but expensive tools. If teachers are simply using them as “fancy projectors” I have to say I think the investment the schools have made are wasted and countless opportunities to gain the interest of students and to educate them is lost.

    ReplyDelete