Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blog Post #8

"What I've Learned This Year"
I found Mr. McClung's blog to be very helpful to future teachers. He was not afraid to admit to the mistakes that he has made as an educator in order to help other educators avoid similar mistakes. I have had teachers who have made the same common mistakes that Mr. McClung has made. I feel like many teachers, just like Mr. McClung, forget far too often to make the students in their classroom that center of their lesson plans. The students are the reason that teachers are in the classroom. Flexibility is another mistake that is very easy to make. Teachers begin the school year knowing exactly what needs to be done and how much time is allowed. I have had teachers not teach a lesson in detail or not work with the students until they understood because there was not enough time. Not all lessons are going to workout as expected and teachers need to be flexible and not so focused on what they had planned. I completely agree with Mr. McClung about the importance of communication. Teachers need to work to build communication between other teachers at their school as well as their students.
I really like how Mr. McClung worded his paragraph about technology in the classroom. Many teachers are afraid to use technology and when they try and do not succeed right away they quit. I like that he acknowledged the hesitance that people have with technology and the encouragement that he gives to continue to work with it. Listening to the students in your classroom is another necessity that is often overlooked. I believe that teachers do need to get to know their students in order to teach them. Students are more receptive to teachers who show that they care about each of their students and his or her needs. I feel that "never stop learning" is the key to either be a wonderful teacher or a mediocre teacher. Teachers need to continue learning new and creative ways to teach their students. I feel that in the future Mr. McClung's blog post will help me to be aware of how and who I am teaching to in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Allison,
    I totally agree with you! Some teachers are there for the paycheck and other really care for the students. I hope you are one of those students that become a teacher that care about their students! Mr. McClung wasn't afraid to let others know his mistakes. We all learn from mistakes. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Allison, I think that Mr. McClung's honesty with himself as well as the students, will make him a better teacher. It's nice to hear the mistakes that teachers have made and what they did to overcome their obstacles. I think by reading blogs like those written by Mr. McClung we too will become better teachers and will avoid some of the same mistakes that they have made. Keep Learning!

    ReplyDelete