Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Final Reflection

I came into EDM310 nervous about my lack of technology and the work required for the class. I have only had one other computer class and that was a Word and typing class in high school. I was very impressed by the amount of time and concern that the instructors and assistants put into each student. Everyone working in the EDM class and lab made the class much more manageable. I am excited about the things that I learned during the course. Creating and learning how to blog was the most meaningful and I believe lasting thing that I learned throughout the class. I learned some incredible things from other blogs that I read that will greatly help me in the classroom.
This class showed me the advantages of using technology in the classroom and how it is changing education. The elementary, middle and high school that I went to are not technology advanced. The most technology that is used in a classroom are overhead projectors. I admit that coming into EDM310 I was a little closed minded about technology in the classroom because of my lack of accessibility to it in schools. I did not see how they could be used to better a students education. This class showed me the importance of using technology as well as gotten me excited to use it in my classroom. I believe that this class has prepared me with the tools that I need to use technology to better my students' education.
I would tell a student who is entering EDM310 to come into the class with an open mind and to take advantage of the lab hours. I would definitely encourage them to follow Mr. Spencer's blog. I know that I have talked about him many times in the past, but I really like following his blog. My mom is an administrator at a school in Mobile and I have introduced her to his blog. I have also had her watch some of the videos such as the "Questions to Live by" video so that she can share them with her teachers. I would also advise new students to take their time with their post and comments. I got more out of the videos or readings when I had a lot of time to dedicate to them. This really is a great class and more students should take advantages of the benefits that it allows.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad we opened your mind and that you shared some of what you encountered in EDM310 with your Mother. I hope she continues with her learning as well.

    I encountered Mr. Spencer's blog last semester. he actually has two of them. They are both a lot of fun to read and very informative. His two blogs are Spencer's Scratch Pad and Tom Johnson's Adventures in Pencil Integration. You probably followed the first. the second he writes under the pseudonym Tom Johnson. It is really funny! You will love it. At least I do!

    Keep on learning. And have your Mother do the same.

    ReplyDelete