Saturday, July 17, 2010

Comments4Teachers

I commented on John Spencer's blog Tom Johnson's Adventures in Pencil Integration. Every post that I read was thought provoking and eye-opening and I encourage everyone to read his posts. The first post that I read was the human cost. It was a very intriguing post that pointed out the everything has a con a cost. Every good thing that is done as an improvement will have one small glitch. We have to decide if it is worth the cost.
His second post was Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home. I think that every educator and administrator should read this post. It is a dialog between two educators debating whether or not students should take pencils home because the research showed that inner city students should not. The post deals with one person who cuts out tools that research says is bad and the other person takes that research and properly shows parents and students how to use the tool effectively.
The third post those aren't the tools you'll use in the real world is another post that I think should be required for all educators. This post included a teacher who let students used the paper and such that was right for them, while at the same time his wife did not think it was appropriate for them not to use the same kind. She felt that the wide-ruled paper was not preparing them for the real world. I believe that this post will be eye-opening to anyone.
As I sure you can tell, I have been very impressed and inspired by Mr. Spencer's blog posts. I have enjoyed reading and commenting on his posts and I intend to continue to follow his blog.

1 comment:

  1. He is very funny and highly instructive at the same time. I will follow your recommendation and add them to the materials to be commented upon by students in the Fall term. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete